Monday, February 4, 2008

Numero Uno

I've decided to try and chronicle my adventures, eating right, living in harmony with the planet and my beliefs and fueling the revolution inside and out, all on a budget.

One of the most important things I do that helps all these things, is cook for myself (and increasingly, for my partner.) I'm out of the house a lot and I don't like having to make choices between different unhealthy, expensive or both, foods, which even in a city like Los Angeles, are what's on tap. So on the weekends especially, I cook. I also do meal planning, which I do in concert with the sales info I get off the websites of the local grocery chains. I try to buy my produce at the farmers market, and am on a quest to eat more locally. I also track what I eat on sparkpeople.com. Partially I do this because being overweight is an issue for me (I used to weigh over 200 lbs) but increasingly because I am curious about the nutritional profile of what I eat and it gives you all that info like fat, cholesterol, fiber etc. Check it out - it's neat to see!

On today's menu:

Spice rubbed chicken thighs smothered in organic barley
Steamed cauliflower
organic apple

Snack: my homemade 'Luna Bars': cranberry almond oatmeal cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment